TommyS and DeepSpace: Hi. How about this recipe for a post workout meal?Avocado Pesto Pasta
Recipe by Our Cookbook Collection
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Put a healthful California twist on a traditional Italian favorite.
Adding avocados to pesto creates a rich and creamy texture without using cheese
1 pound linguine 1 bunch fresh basil, reserve some leaves fro garnish 1/2 cup pine nuts 2 avocados, pitted and peeled 2 tablespoons lemon juice 3 garlic cloves 1/2 cup olive oil Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper 1 cup cherry tomatoes or sliced sun-dried tomatoes (optional)Instructions
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Toss pasta with pesto. For an extra touch of color and flavor, top pasta with cherry or sun-dried tomatoes. Divide pasta among serving bowls and garnish each serving with a basil leaf.
Reprinted with permission from Cloe Coscarelli’s Chole’s Kitchen: 125 Way, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food Your Love the Vegan Way (Free Press, 2012).
Read more: http://relish.com/recipes/avocado-pesto-pasta-2/#ixzz2WVpbGNZA
!! - Read your Blogger posts. Glad you had a great running weekend and mailed a card to your Dad. Have a good running week.
TommyS: Enjoyed “Man of Steel” movie” Here’s a second recipe I like and used for pot luck/post workout meal. Hope this helps you out.Creamy Pasta with Peas
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 bunch (5 ounces) arugula tough stems removed, chopped
- For the kids (serves 2): In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions; add peas 1 minute before end of cooking. Drain; return pasta and peas to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine cream and chicken broth; simmer until thickened slightly, 7 minutes. Stir in Parmesan until melted.
- Add sauce to pasta and peas; toss to combine. Season with salt. Divide half the pasta among serving bowls; reserve remaining in pot for the adults.
- For the adults (serves 2): Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, shaking frequently, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add to reserved pasta along with arugula; season with pepper. Toss to combine, and serve immediately. http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/creamy-pasta-with-peas/